A Reflection on the MENA region

Before this class, my knowledge was lacking in understanding the nuances of the relationships between MENA states, political tendencies, and the overall history of the MENA region.  While I had a basic understanding of all of these, I lacked a cohesive understanding of the region.  While I have only scratched the surface within the region, I feel that I have a more cohesive picture of the Middle East, understanding the greater complexities of what makes this region unique.  I also better understand the creation of the region and how that has resulted in the prolonged issues of the region.  

It may sound simple, but looking at this region through the traditional paradigms of international relations theory is most important.  Many people view the states of this region as unique, often behaving differently than other states in the international community.  However, by the end of this class, it has become clearer that this region can be at least mostly described using a variety of international relations schools of thought.  Whether you are viewing the Arab-Israeli conflict, the Gulf War, Turkey’s assault against the PKK, or any other conflict in this region, almost all of them can be accurately analyzed and described using international relations theory that would accurately explain the behavior of other states.  The states in the region are the same as any other state; pursuing their security, trying to expand their economic and social influence, and governing a population of people.  

While yes, there may be certain variables that make this region unique such as Walt’s Balance of Threat theory, heightened importance of identity factors, and regime interests overtaking state interests at some points, the states in this region are still states within the anarchic international system and I believe their general behavior can be explained mostly using only traditional IR theory.  

Personally, before the class, I did separate the states in this region as a “unique” political region of the world, behaving differently than other states that may not be explained by traditional IR theory.  I believe I thought this way mostly because of the mass media’s portrayal of this region as unique.  I feel they discuss the issues of this region without an explanation of why certain things may be occurring.  For example, the media constantly talks about states like Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and other states in the region as states in perpetual conflict, without an explanation for why that conflict may be occurring.  While yes, these states are struggling, they discuss these states like they almost seek out conflict, rather than explaining the variety of factors that have created a region where conflict frequently occurs.  


Baghdad | History, Population, Map, & Facts | Britannica
Baghdad
Image Source: https://www.britannica.com/place/Baghdad


I also think that it is important to recognize the importance of Identity within the region.  While I do not believe identity factors are the main motivation for state actions, they are almost always present in some way.  

Before taking this class, I either put too much emphasis on identity factors, or too little.  For example,  I previously viewed the Arab-Israeli conflict as a conflict that is almost entirely driven by Identity factors.  However, the Arab-Israeli conflict is a chain of conflicts within the region where identity is extremely important to understand the intricacies of the conflict, but general material factors are also important to understand the conflict.   


Israel | Facts, History, Population, & Map | Britannica
Image Source: https://www.britannica.com/place/Israel


It is also important to take note of the historical factors for why identities have caused so much conflict in this region.  Dating back to events like the Balfour Declaration or the Sykes-Picot agreement, many modern conflicts that involve identity can be explained by Western intervention within the region.  Because outside powers ignored identity boundaries, and instead placed boundaries as they see fit, it would lead to many conflicts throughout the region.  Again, I feel that the media's portrayal of this region often ignores identity factor explanations and the historical factors behind identity conflicts.

This class has been very helpful in obtaining a broad understanding that connects the states within the region and has further contextualized the region.  While I am far from an expert on the region, I have a greater understanding of the intricacies and general themes of MENA.  


Comments

  1. To understand the reason I feel like a mixture of theories is needed. Like when researching the Arab Israeli conflict, I had to include ideas from both realism and constructivism, and sometimes it isn't really clear which one is the main reason behind policies and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Adam! I think you did a really good job with this post. I also would agree with your point that identity is an important aspect within this region and has been the source of a lot of conflict but also a good amount of community and cooperation as well. For me though I think identity in this region is a little more important than you may suggest just because of all the different events throughout this areas history that occurred solely because of opposing identities. But of course, other factors are really important as well. This post is really well done and I think it really shows just how great a grasp you have on different historical events and trends within this region.
    -Margie Winter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam! I thought this post was really interesting, especially because I remember that one of the first things we discussed in class was whether traditional IR theories can be applied to the Middle East. I would agree with what Margie said though, that identity plays a bigger role than portrayed because it is so ingrained in the history.
    One thing that really stood out to me was when you said the media portrays certain Middle Eastern states "like they almost seek out conflict, rather than explaining the variety of factors that have created a region where conflict frequently occurs." This is something I tried to discuss in my blog as well, and I thought you did a really nice job stating the idea in a clear and concise way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog